Friday, January 25, 2008

Design with Us Friday

The question that's asked of me the most is, "How do I mix patterns on my layout?" It can be a little daunting. My first suggestion is if you're a little hesitant to mix patterns always choose paper from the same company. They've already coordinated the colours for you but each line still has a number of pattern to choose from. Here's a safe and easy solution. Never choose "like" patterns. Here's a photo of what I'm talking about. The two patterns are very much the same and therefore fight one another. Your eye doesn't know what to look at. It all becomes distracting and a jumbled mess.
Now with this photo you can see I've chosen patterns that compliment each other. The free flowing heart design now stands out from the stripe. There is a definite distinction between the two. Plaids or dots are another great alternative than stripes.Always remember to mat your photos when using pattern paper. As you can see the photo gets lost when you don't mat the photo.
Just adding a mat makes the photo pop.
Don't be afraid to use different patterns on your layout. Use these simple techniques and let loose with patterns.

No comments: